Diabetes and Vegetarianism

Monday, June 14, 2010
Our family has experienced some serious health scares these past 2 weeks. Two of them are diabetes related!

My DH took a work physical recently and was told his blood sugar was way too high - 214! We have a blood glucose meter at home, given to us by his mother - a severe diabetic. We used to test weekly, but because our numbers were always in the normal range we quit for a long time. But this test result got us testing again. While I fall into the normal range with my daily test, my DH tests are getting a bit too close to the borderline (130's) number for his comfort.

The challenge I'm facing with this is that things I enjoy eating as a vegetarian - pasta, rice, breads - are exactly what cause sugar spikes for my DH. I've switched to a fiber/wheat type pasta, lowered the amount of rice we eat in a meal and breads are now whole grain and whole wheat.



I've been researching new recipes that we can have for our one daily meal together (dinner) that are good to eat, but don't cause sugar spikes. Tonight we had vegan stew, and my omnivore DH really liked it and it only had 28 g of carbs - under the limit that makes his sugar spike! Score a WIN for me!!! Other than pasta and rice, most vegetarian recipes are great for people who need to watch their sugar intake. Now sometimes natural sugars from fruits (like watermelon) will wreck havoc on some people's sugar levels - so make sure you test 2 hours after eating something new to make sure it doesn't cause a spike.

Hopefully soon I'll have more weekly dinner menus to share. I've been spending my time researching new recipes that are diabetic and vegetarian friendly :)

0 comments: