Super simple secret smoothies

Thursday, February 18, 2010
I have incredibly picky kids. Sometimes I think they're having covert meetings about how to drive me crazy with which foods they will or will not eat this week.

Using smoothie to get healthy fruits into kids is probably as old as the invention of the blender, but it really does work. I make them at least 2-3 weeks for dessert. I've recently started adding the secret ingredient, organic baby spinach, thinking it was going to go over like a lead balloon because they always know whenever I try to be creatively sneaky, but by some miracle it passed. And just in time, I was thinking if I didn't get a green vegetable in them somehow the Good Mother police was going to come along and yank my Good Mother badge away soon.

Super Simple Secret Smoothies
Makes about 2-3 servings

1 cup organic baby spinach, rinsed very well and dried very well with any large stems removed
2-3 cups frozen and/or fresh fruit (we like half mango, half berries)
1/2 to 1 cup milk (nondairy is fine, I like vanilla flavored almond milk)
1 tablespoon sweetener, like agave syrup or maple syrup (optional)

Dump everything in a blender and blend until it is a creamy, thick consistency. We like them as thick as a Wendy's Frosty so we can eat them with a spoon. The color will not be pretty, it's like what happens when all the playdough colors get smooshed together. But it does taste very good, and I promise you cannot taste the spinach.

*No pics because I broke my camera. And let's be honest, Venus's pictures are so much better. She rocks!

1 comments:

Unknown at: February 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM said...

Can you sneak a little Ovaltine (or something similar) in? Choc is always good, IMO, and it would cover the color of you have a little one that might give it the hairy eyeball. lol

and thanks *blush* :D