Reviews of a great book about a great subject

Saturday, February 13, 2010
I have been neglecting this blog far too long. First I blew out my back, then blew up my car. My goal the rest of the month is to avoid any further blow-ups.

In between my dramatic events, I did manage to pick up a great little cookbook. I love all books in generally, but I really love cookbooks and will occasionally treat myself to a brand-new, crisp book instead of scouring used bookstore for a copy.

"Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar," is by the authors of Vegan with a Vengeance, Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. It's a cute little square book with an enormous chocolate cookie on the front, see?



The first part is all about the science of making cookies, and it's written in a breezy style that isn't intimidating for novice cooks. They talk about ingredients, techniques, substitutions, and finally trouble shooting tips. It's worth a read, especially if you've never baked without eggs and dairy before. They also include an assurance that all recipes in the book can be made gluten-free by using your favorite GF flour mix or using their very own GF mix.

And the recipes, oh my, the recipes. I made the Cowboy Cookies last week and they were rich and buttery, just everything you want in a cookie. Just flipping through the book there are so many cookies I can't wait to try, the combinations of flavors are really impressive. Carrot raisin spice chewies, espresso chip oatmeal cookies, macadamia ginger nut drops, peanut apple pretzel drops, sweet wine biscuits. It's imaginative pairings are really impressive.

The book isn't limited to classic cookies, they also include bars and fancy cookies, as well as a section on wholesome cookies. The healthy cookies often include whole grains and agave nectar to nudge the health factor up.

The only slight downside is that there are some ingredients used most people wouldn't be familiar with, the two I am thinking of are tapioca flour and brown rice syrup. But tapioca flour isn't too expensive and I can find it in my local grocery store in the baking aisle with the Bob's Red Mill products. I am still looking for the brown rice syrup.

Overall, I would recommend this to anyone who likes cookies, vegan to omnivores. Isa and Terry prove again you don't need animal products to make something fabulous and fun.

P.S. They dedicated the book to the memory of Bea Arthur. It's like they have secret knowledge of my two biggest guilty pleasure, cookies and Golden Girls re-runs. *swoons.*

0 comments: