Vegan Crockpot Potato Soup

Thursday, February 3, 2011


Photo: Dinners for a Year and Beyond

I used the recipe from Dinners For A Year and Beyond and tweaked it to make it vegan.

Crock Pot Baked Potato Soup

makes 2 1/2 quarts

6 large potatoes, peeled and diced (I don't peel, I like the skins in my soup, just rinse really well)
1 large onion, chopped
5 cups of chicken stock (I used organic, vegetable broth)
1 (15-ounce) can evaporated milk ( I used about 1 cup of rice milk)
1/4 cup butter (I used 1/4 cup vegan butter)
salt
pepper
extra broth to thin soup to your liking

Place potatoes, onions, and broth/stock in a crock pot. Cook on low for 9 hours (I cooked it on high for about 6 hours). After the cooking time, mash potatoes with a potato masher (I used a stick blender) and add evaporated milk and butter. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.

To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top as desired.

Note: After the soup is refrigerated, it can become quite thick. Keep some extra stock on hand to thin out soup if you so choose.

Review: 3 thumbs up. Hubby wanted to add bacon bits to it (none in the house) but otherwise liked it. One kidlet wasn't too sure about it since she had never had creamy soup before (I know, bad mommy) but she really liked it. Other kidlet didn't like it at all. I really liked it. It was easy to make, made the house smell yummy while it was cooking and was very filling and warm on a very chilly night.

0 comments: