Fake Tuna Sandwiches

Saturday, January 9, 2010
Or otherwise known as "chickpea salad sandwiches."

Why not tuna?

1. Fish are animals, therefore, not vegetarian. If you do eat fish and seafood, you are a pescatarian, but not a vegetarian. Evidently it drives the vegetarian/vegan community that so many people assume vegetarians eat fish, so I thought I would just throw this out here.

2. Modern fishing practices are destroying the oceans' ecosystem. (click for a really interesting interview with the director of the Monterey Bay Aquarium.)

3. Tuna has one of the highest levels of mercury, and experts suggest limiting consumption for children and pregnant women. That is never a good sign.

I basically use my old recipe for tuna salad, with the addition of kelp granules. They add a subtle fishy taste to it. They can be hard to find, I found the brand I use at Whole Foods for less than 3 bucks.

The ingredients.



And the finished plate, it's a little orange-y because I grated in the carrot.



Keep in mind, this is just how I do it, all you really need to do is sub chickpeas for your favorite tuna salad recipe. Double it, of course, since a can of chickpeas is gigantic compared to a measly can of tuna.

Chickpea "Tuna" Salad
Makes approx 4-6 servings

1 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained OR 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely grated carrot
1/2 tsp kelp granules
1/2 tsp mustard
fresh ground pepper to taste
2-3 Tablespoons mayonnaise

Mash all ingredients together with a potato masher or fork until chickpeas are mostly mashed, lumps here and there are fine. Taste for seasoning, adjust as necessary. Serve at room temperature or chill.

2 comments:

Erin Gilmore at: January 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM said...

I once had an argument on an airplane about whether the vegetarian entree was, in fact, vegetarian. It was TUNA. I said to the lady "but TUNA is a fish, it is NOT a vegetable." She replied "it is vegetarian." WTF?

Unknown at: January 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM said...

LOL I've totally had to use the "I don't eat it if it had a FACE" line before because of arguments like that. A lot of people don't seem to equate fish to meat for some reason.