New Year, New Recipes

Tuesday, January 4, 2011
Welcome to 2011! One of my personal goals this year is to get back to cooking more real foods and not as many "oh crap, we are so busy but I have to feed them something" meals. I also want to add more vegan meals to our rotation.  This first recipe is NOT vegan though but it was very yummy. This is from the current Jan/Feb issue of Vegetarian Times. I will post it as written and of course tell you my changes.

Goat Cheese-Asparagus Crustless Quiche


1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch lengths. Tips reserved for garnish (optional)
1 tsp olive oil
2 large shallots
2 cloves garlic, peeled
5 ozs fresh goat cheese
2 large eggs
5 large egg whites

1. Coat 4 ramekins or a 9 inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Toss asparagus in oil in bowl, season with salt/pepper if desired. Place ramekins in oven, preheat to 425.

2. Meanwhile, place shallots and garlic in food proc., process until finely minced. Add goat cheese, proc until creamy; then add eggs and egg whites, puree until smooth. Salt/pepper if desired.

3. Pour egg mixture over asparagus in ramekins once oven is preheated, stirring to evenly distribute vegetables. Bake 15 minutes or until the tops are light brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean.



Ok I subbed broccoli for asparagus and green onions for shallots. I used a 8x11 pan because it's what I had, didn't preheat the pan and the cooking time was more like 25min for me and the tops never really browned up. But it was really really good, even my son liked it and he's not a super huge fan of broccoli. I did steam the broc for just a bit because I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be crunchy.



~Venus

1 comments:

Amber at: January 15, 2011 at 5:42 PM said...

Oh wow... that looks (and sounds) DELICIOUS!!