Cabbage Roll Casserole

Monday, January 10, 2011
The original form of this recipe is obviously rolls.. but small cabbage heads + chef laziness = casserole!


This is NOT a pretty meal, or a fancy meal. But it is an easy meal and it's fairly tasty.


You need:


cabbage
spanish style rice mix ( I just used yellow rice)
red bell pepper
onion
stewed tomatoes ( i used 2 cans and squished the chunks)
can of tom. soup
water
veggie meat like pepperoni or ham. I used soyrizo. obviously if you are a meat eater you can use any real meat you want.


Cook rice according to directions but use the tomato instead of water. I found it had to cook twice as long so honestly I think I'd just use water next time and possibly omit the tom soup using instead the stewed tomatoes to add extra liquid to the casserole.


dice up all veggies, cook veggies and any meat. add to rice.  Mix rice with cabbage bits (these were chopped earlier with your other veggies), mix well. This is where you use the tom soup + water to add extra liquid to the casserole (and where I will try to use the stewed tom next time.


cover with foil and bake at 350 for an hour.


It was good, not great. it was missing something but I'm not sure what yet. Everyone ate it and said it was ok but they wouldn't request it again though if I made it they would eat it and not whine. I think I might add in some veggie broth next time. If you try this let me know what tweaks you make and how it turns out.


Ok, here is your photo but I find casseroles pretty ugly so...  lol






~Venus

0 comments: