The dreaded lentil loaf

Monday, January 18, 2010
I have been craving starchy foods lately due to headaches and migraines, and I didn't make the connection until I read Dr Barnard's book Foods that Fight Pain.

Tonight I made the iconic vegetarian cliche, lentil loaf. I was planning on seitan BBQ ribs but I discovered I didn't have enough vital wheat gluten, oops.

The recipe I used is from Recipezaar, the Really Good Vegetarian Meatloaf.

Cast of characters:


The changes I made was to skip the small onion and use onion powder because I am out of onions, and to use barbecue sauce because I only had a humongous can of tomato sauce. I used a 9x5 pan and it was a little low, I could have used a smaller pan or doubled the recipe.

The finished product:



Barbecue sauce FAIL. It was good but all I could taste was the barbecue sauce. I will make it again because I liked the texture and the taste (or what I could taste aside from zesty barbecue sauce.) Next time I will use fresh onion and also saute and add shredded carrots and sneak some spinach, definitely use the tomato sauce, and either increase the size or use a smaller pan.

I need a t-shirt that says "I survived the dreaded lentil loaf 2010."

0 comments: