Let's review some books

Friday, January 8, 2010
Ultimate Vegetarian Cookbook
This is a DK book,  which is a name many of you Moms probably know. They have never disappointed me and this cookbook is no exception. It has amazing pictures, a great variety of recipes and good basic how to guides. This would be a perfect book for beginners even if they are meat eaters and it is not  "dumbed down" so it is still a great book for the more experienced cook. 
In addition to over 140 recipes this book contains detailed pictures and descriptions of different foods, cooking styles, cutting techniques and herbs. Plus photos and explanations of some basic cooking tools. While there are some iffy recipes in the book there are enough recipes that I could make or tweak for my picky family to absolutely make this a worthy purchase. This is going on my must have list.


I will tell you that I have a bias against the papery no photo cook books. I'm very visual and if I cant see step by step photos I still need to see the finished product if possible. I like bright books with lots of glossy pictures.


Great pictures and one of the first things I notice is a wonderful bright, easy to read layout. All the recipe info is super easy to read. Plus each recipe has the prep/cooking time and serving amount info right at the top of the page. It contains really good info on vitamins/minerals and their sources which I really appreciated. In my opinion run toward the "fancier" side and there were not very many that I would label family friendly but of course that varies by family. I would see if your library had a copy before spending the money on this one just to be sure.


This is a great "baby-steps" kinda book. The recipes are really normal so I think it really helps those that are transitioning realize how easy meatless meal cooking can be. You will also find lots of little tips and tid-bits of info in and around the recipes. It could definitely be an everyday kinda cookbook.


And now that we've done a little bookworming lets get to a recipe!  Ok if you are a food snob... well, I'm not sure why you are here anyway but it is time for you to leave.  No, I mean now.. yes GO. Seriously, well don't say you weren't warned.


This meal is from Quick-fix Vegetarian and can be found on pg 160


5 minute Crock Pot Chili


24 oz jar of salsa
2 T chili powder
1/2 c ketchup
2 (16oz) black beans, drained
1 (16oz) dark red kidney beans, drained
1 1/2 c water
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper


Throw it all in the cooker, mix and match your beans based on what you like, mix it up and cook it on low for 4-6 hours.


This is NOT a foodie recipe but it is easy and tasty and perfect for a day that you do not have time to be in the kitchen. The prep takes honestly 5 minutes and you are DONE.


chili


~Venus

0 comments: