So long, Swine.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Now obviously I said bye to pork a few months ago but tonights recipe scared me...  Yes, I said it. I was scared of trying to make this meal without the pig.


You see... I am a good Southern girl and when you talk about making a pot of beans I just immediately see the ham bone and meat in those beans, giving them flavor. How was I going to make vegetarian beans and rice that would give you that flavor, that comfort without the animal? I was worried but I took a deep breath and gave it my best.


My inspiration


I used...
1/4 to 1/2 onion
4 stalks celery
3 cloves garlic
1/2 green and 1/2 red bell pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
2 tbs liquid smoke
assorted spices - pepper, red pepper flakes, slap ya mama
some veggie stock
and water as needed


I cooked and froze a few 28oz bags of red kidney beans a few weeks ago so I used two of those so it'd be the same if you had canned beans. Put them in a pan with their liquid. The inspiration link walks you through cooking the beans from dry if you need that.


I put all the veggies in the food processor 
1


And pulsed them to death!
2


Add the mush to the pan, add bay leaves and spices
3


Get the pan boiling and then let it simmer, it cooks down so watch the liquid level. you don't want the liquid all gone.
4


I took a good portion of beans out and processed them and added them back to the pan. This is when I added in some veggie stock. you want it to be creamy, not dry.
bean


This recipe can really be tweaked a million ways based on what your family likes. The liquid smoke really gives it that hearty taste in the place of ham. 
5


~Venus

0 comments: