It's always something around here

Wednesday, January 20, 2010
My middle child developed a tooth abscess and a fever today, prompting me to take him and the rest of the herd to the pediatric ER. He's okay, and will be seeing a dentist tomorrow, but it's been a long day.

I think we should start a campaign for better vegetarian fast food choices, especially kid friendly ones. I know by definition fast food isn't healthy, but c'mon, there's only so much cheese one can eat.

Off the top of my head these are my options in this area, if anyone knows of more please feel free to add.

Subway is the best bet with their 5 dollar footlong Veggie Delight sandwich. I like it with lots of veggies and oil and vinegar and salt and pepper, it's like salad on bread. They also have a veggie patty but I haven't tried it.

Taco Bell has bean burritos, cheese and rice burritos, and cheese quesadillas. I assure you will walk away feeling just as bloated if you chose a meat filled item.

Wendys, McDonalds, and Arbys pretty much leave you with fries that may or may not have been fried along with meat, and then may or may not be sprinkled with animal product seasoning, yum. And of course, anemic salads that were probably packaged when my oldest child was just a twinkle in my eye.

Supposedly Burger King has a veggie burger option but I have yet to try it because the fake meat grilling smell wafting around is just too much for me, you can read about that smell in Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser.

My best bet is Chipotle. I love their vegetarian burrito with grilled bell peppers and guacamole, but according to that "Don't Eat This, Eat That" guy I am eating my daily allowance of calories in one shot and now I feel guilty. They do have an off-menu option of a plain cheese quesadilla, which is a good choice for kids. I want to know why they can't make the pinto beans vegetarian, do they really need to add bacon to them, would anyone notice if they didn't?

So there is my rant o' the day. When you've had a crappy day, sometimes you just need a good rant to let it out. Besides, tomorrow is a brand new day, right?

1 comments:

Stephanie at: January 21, 2010 at 7:24 PM said...

Hope your ds is okay!

Oh, how I agree with you on the vegetarian fast food items. It's so darn hard to eat healthy when you're out and about unless you go into a sit-down restaurant (and even THAT is hit or miss). Just swinging by a fast food place is an absolutely nightmare if you're vegetarian. I always felt like I was being difficult whenever I went out with a group and of course everyone would play the "Is there anything you can eat THERE???" game for every restaurant suggestion. Feh.